Homeowners constantly require services to keep their homes running smoothly. This includes cleaning services, such as home cleaning, window cleaning, furniture cleaning and carpet cleaning, as well as plumbing services, electrical services and locksmith services. Lawn care services are also a huge factor in maintaining one’s home.
Of course, as individuals get older and have a hard time maintaining their homes and even their own daily routines, senior care and home care services become a crucial component in their lives.
If you have been considering starting a home services franchise business, read through these steps to set yourself in the right direction:
- Research your franchise options. Find out what kind of home services franchises are available for investment in your area. Study your options on the Internet and at franchise exhibitions in your area. Check out Franchise Direct’s directory of winning home services franchise opportunities.
- Decide which home services industry you would like to enter. There are many different types of home services franchises available for investment. You must choose the one that fits in with the kind of lifestyle you want, the earnings potential you are pursuing and the kind of work you want to do. Pick a home services franchise that you are passionate about, so that you will feel motivated to get up every morning and work. Whether you pick a senior home care franchise, home cleaning franchise or a plumbing franchise, make sure you are choosing the right one for you.
- Visit the head office and talk to current franchisees. The best way to find out about the home services franchise you’ve chosen is to visit the franchisor’s head office for a discovery day or a meeting with the Franchise Director. That way, you will see first-hand how the company operates and who is providing your ongoing support. You should also speak with current franchisees about their experience running a franchise, including their relationship with the franchisor, what are their biggest struggles, their actual earnings potential and what a day in the life of a franchisee is like.
- Obtain proper licensing. In order to operate a senior care or home care franchise, you will need to meet National Minimum Standards, which are different for every country. You can review the home care standards here to learn what kind of training you need in order to provide home care. City & Guilds also provides necessary accreditation for plumbers and electricians.
- Create a business plan and obtain any necessary funding. Since you are providing a service at your clientele’s home, a home services franchise is often a van based franchise operation. In order to obtain funding to start the business and finance the start-up, including the purchase or leasing of the van, a franchisee must create a business plan. With the help of the franchisor, who has experience in creating business plans, you will need to outline specific details of your new franchise, including financial forecasts.
- Get trained. Since you are starting a franchise, the franchisor will provide you with the requisite training to prepare you to succeed in your new business from day one. This includes the training that will help you obtain accreditation as well as important information on how to run your new business.
- Market your business. The franchisor should provide assistance with marketing campaigns, but franchisees can also conduct their own local campaigns to target a specific audience in their area. By using different methods of marketing, such as direct mail campaigns, an easy-to-use website and print advertising, the franchisee should get the word out about their new business before start-up.
- Launch your new home services franchise! Now you are ready to start the home services franchise of your dreams. You will have the accreditation and training to perform the necessary home services, and with the marketing campaign underway, customers will have heard of your services! Get ready to work hard and reap the rewards of your home services franchise.