Last night the British Franchise Association held its annual awards ceremony to name the UK's Franchisees of the Year. The following statement was released today:
Tina Young, of dog boarding business Barking Mad, has been crowned winner of the bfa HSBC Franchisee of the Year Awards 2014. The awards, supported by Express Newspapers, also saw Tina win the Microbusiness Franchisee of the Year Award – a category for businesses with less than £100,000 turnover.
Following a rigorous judging process, the awards took place during a black-tie ceremony in Birmingham Town Hall, hosted by Steph McGovern. Recognised for their exceptional contributions to franchising in the UK, six category winners each received £1,000 for their efforts, while Tina collected £10,000 for taking home the top prize, all courtesy of HSBC.
The winners of this year’s bfa HSBC Franchisee of the Year awards are:
- Franchisee of the Year and Microbusiness Franchisee of the Year: Tina Young, Barking Mad Northumberland
- Young Franchisee of the Year: Aaron Stewart, Marston’s Pub Franchise, Sheffield and Mansfield (in photo below)
- Customer Service Franchisee of the Year: Joggy Dhillon, Domino’s, Coleraine and Omagh
- Female Franchisee of the Year: Rachel Shaw, Subway Thornton, Heath and West Wickham
- B2B Franchisee of the Year: Frank Sutherland, Autosmart, Aberdeen
- Olderpreneur Franchisee of the Year: Terry Lucking, Belvoir, Peterborough and Cambridge
Commenting on the awards, Brian Smart, director general of the bfa, said: “We’ve now been recognising the country’s most exceptional franchisees for a quarter of a century, and each year the bar is raised higher and higher. It’s fitting that the 25th anniversary of these awards gave us a cross-section of finalists that showcase the inclusivity of the sector for anyone, anywhere aspiring to self-employment, with these 19 outstanding business owners demonstrating the achievements that are possible.”
Seán Hammond, head of franchising at Express Newspapers, said: “These awards throw light on the fantastic successes that span the breadth of the franchising industry, paving the way for others to follow suit. We’re delighted to be able to celebrate and reward the lengths these businesspeople go to in order to push their businesses forward.”